Tuesday 20 March 2007

First Post

My very first post is about one of my passions ~ FOOD, glorious food, of which bread ranks almost the top.


What, green onions??? Me making something that I don't like? I forsee raised eyebrows on family & close friends. Yeah, I am known for not liking green onions, onions, shallots, chinese parsley, celery, etc. you get the idea. Then, why in world would I want to make something that I don't like?

First and foremost, I have all the ingredients at hand. Secondly, I want to finish up the green onions before they turn bad on me. Thirdly (as if I need a third reason), D would like it as he loves all the things mentioned above.

The bread that I had made over last weekend is this Green Onion & Yoghurt Bread which I got from Nic's Baking Bites. As this was the first time I made bread in a long, long time, I followed 99% of the recipe . The only thing I changed was the flour. I used 50% bread flour & 50% ap flour. Making it was a breeze and I also enjoyed myself kneading away. Nothing beats the feel of dough in your hands. When you are kneading, it feels as if you have no worries or cares in this world .... just you and your dough, bonding. It is really that soothing. Try it and you will understand what I mean.

The result?


I wasn't too pleased with the colour at the sides and bottom as it's too pale but I guess it can't be helped. The oven that I have is extemely hot meaning it's not accurate. As I have put the dough into a loaf pan, I can't see the colour at the bottom. Maybe I should invest in an oven thermometer, hmmm....... *grinning widely*

Other than the colour, I'm pretty pleased with the bread itself. The usual spring onion smell had changed into a lovely fragrance. Maybe I will add more spring onions the next time round. The only other change that I will make is to lessen the yoghurt by 1 tbsp as I find it just a little too tangy for my taste.

However, there is still room for improvements as you can see the texture of the bread is still not as fluffy.

Give this bread a try and let me know what you think. With this, I bid you good bye. Till the next time then!

2 comments:

Anh said...

PL.

Thanks for your comment at my blog. :)

About my Yoghurt Onion Bread, my starter was fermented at ard 25-27C. If your climate is humid and hotter, I think overnight fermentation (12-16 hrs) should be ok. HTH

Unknown said...

Hi Anh,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your tip will come in handy. Hope to make it this week.

Have a great weekend.